Why Should I Invest in Smart Plug Outlets?
Smart plug outlets make it possible to control anything you plug into it. All you need is an outlet, a smart plug, and sometimes a free app.
Every homeowner who is looking to save money on their energy bills will benefit from these smart outlet adapters. You may set them to turn on and off at certain intervals, so you only utilize what you need when you need it. If your kids leave lights or televisions that aren’t in use, program the smart outlet timers to shut off the appliances after a certain amount of time.
This way, you’re not wasting any energy and you’re saving yourself some money on your monthly energy bills.
We all have electronic devices that sit idle for 9 out of 10 hours every day but still need to be plugged into an outlet. These smart plug outlets are ideal because they can be set to turn off at a certain time, are voice or app-controlled, and provide a variety of functions!
So what are you waiting for? Invest in smart plug outlets today!
Crafts & Bolts Top Picks: Best Smart Plugs
There are so many smart home devices on the market that it can sometimes be hard to determine which one is right for you. At Crafts & Bolts, we reviewed many smart plugs and found some that really stood out. These are our choices for the best smart plugs, but keep in mind that if you have existing home appliances, you may want to purchase a smart plug that is easier to pair with them (look for Google, Apple, Alexa, etc compatibility). Your smart home devices might work better with some plugs more than others, so keep that in mind as you explore features!
Best Interior Smart Plug: Kasa Smart Plug
Energy monitoring capability, with Alexa integration and great customer reviews!
Best Exterior Smart Plug: Treatlife Dimmer Smart Switch
Outdoor plug that allows for dimming, remote access, waterproof protection, and seamless setup.
Best Smart Power Strip: Eve Energy Strip – Apple HomeKit Smart Home
Excellent surge protection, apple home kit compatibility, incredible energy monitoring, and easy voice commands.
Best Smart Plug Outlets for your Home (Interior)
- You can control your home from anywhere.
- Way fewer connectivity issues with other cheap devices.
- Schedule lights, TV, and music to turn on automatically.
- Seamless Alexa integration
- Set a timer for cooking or other tasks, so you never have to worry about forgetting anything again.
- Never come home to a dark house with Away Mode!
- When you connect appliances to a smart plug, they may not be placed too close to the outlet (due to the protrusion).
- Your outlets will finally be able to hold all your plugs.
- You'll never have to worry about plugging in a device and it not being close enough.
- The installation is simple, just follow the instructions on the box!
- The button's location on the plug may be difficult for less tech-savvy people. The ability to share Homekit settings with everyone might help alleviate this problem.
- The setup process for this is a bit repetitive. For example, you will be adding devices into both HomeKit and the native App.
- No hub is required
- Compatible with Google Home and Alexa (sold separately)
- Secure your home, even when you're not there
- Super Easy installation process especially for Amazon Alexa users
- The app does not track power consumption
- Cannot be set up with a schedule
- You can control your lights smart features remotely with the app
- The plug does not emit any light.
- Perfect if you have Philips Hue lights in your home
- Highly affordable two pack option
- Works as a Zigbee range extender for Hue Smart Bridge.
- While not required, a Philips Hue Hub may be utilized to access even more features, raising the price of this investment somewhat if you crave some particularly unique capabilities such as color dimming control.
Save Money by Using Outdoor Smart Plugs
Outdoor smart plugs are ideal for anyone who wants to control their exterior lights. These plugs are meant for people that want their yard, water features or patio lit up at night. With these controlled outlets, you can turn on the lights on your home with just a push of a button from your smartphone.
Exterior lights have the ability to use up a lot of energy– especially during the holidays. Therefore, outdoor smart plugs can come in handy, as it allows you to save energy with timers and scheduled lighting times. What’s even better about an outdoor smart plug is that it can be activated using your voice or through the app on your smartphone.
You don’t have to worry about getting out of bed in order to turn on your lights from inside, just say “Alexa, turn on my patio lights.”
The Best Outdoor Smart Plug for your Home
- Schedule your lights to turn on and off at specific times.
- Control all light settings with a single tap
- Enjoy long-range WIFI connectivity and weatherproofing
- Save time and energy with 2 individually programmable AC outlets.
- Control with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- The interior hardware isn't fully weather-resistant, so in very intense weather you will need to use the outlet covers, or bring it indoors.
- The best outdoor smart plug for Apple users, it has simple compatibility with Apple Devices.
- Keep appliances from getting damaged by overloading circuits.
- It's simple to use and takes less than 5 minutes to set up.
- Energy-efficient and cost-effective
- Does not operate with 5G wifi; you'll need to establish a 2.4G network.
- Not for high-powered machines, such as a pump or pool motor
- Dimmable and Programmable with Manual dimming if your phone is not nearby!
- Setup is super quick and easy
- Cord length is long enough to easily fit any outdoor outlet box without preventing the box from closing
- Really well constructed with IP44 waterproof protection and FCC certified
- None! It does what it is designed to do and is the best smart plug on the market!
- Three programmable outlets
- Affordable and Durable
- Easy setup
- Figuring out settings and configuration after initial set up is not seamless, and directions are small and hard to read.
Need More Smart Devices? Try a Smart Power Strip
Power strips are great for connecting multiple appliances to one outlet. These plugs are perfect for adding smart capabilities to your existing appliances, making them more efficient and easier to control remotely. Some of the benefits include:
- Turn off appliances that are accidentally left on
- Schedule appliances to power on/off when you’re not home
- Check appliance status from the app at any time
Why invest in the best smart plug when you can up your game with a whole power strip!
*However, note: smart power strips are still improving in technology and effectiveness. So, individual smart plugs that form a powerstrip, while great, are not for those who get annoyed by occasional glitches. If that’s you, then stick to smart plugs, which have a lot fewer issues (if any!).
The Best Smart Power Strips for your Home
- Great and easy-to-use app that can control and manage multiple smart home devices.
- The smart plugs are spaced out appropriately, which allows room for larger plugs
- Can power up to 5 devices at once
- The cord is only 3 feet long
- Customer service is not the best
- Easy setup without needing a hub
- The schedule feature allows for added home security
- Set schedules and manage all elements of your home appliances
- The app allows you to control up to six smart surge protectors at a time.
- You need to download the APC app to be able to use Amazon Alexa
- The app can be glitchy
- HomeKit Enabled and works seamlessly with Apple devices
- Perfect for Energy Monitoring: Track power consumption to help you save on your electric bills
- Surge protection, overcurrent protection, and overvoltage protection
- Generously spaced 90-degree outlets
- A bit difficult to set up
- A little pricy but definitely high-quality
Honorable Mentions: Smart Plugs Worth Trying
Your Smart Home Awaits!
Smart plugs are the future of smart homes. We are currently living in the age of the internet, which is why it should be no surprise that our homes are being updated with new technology to save us time and energy. Most smart plugs are excellent devices because they allow you to save on your electric bills while also giving you the ability to automate routine tasks. While there are many options to choose from, we recommend a smart plug that has energy monitoring features, uses voice control, has a remote control option preferably using a smart phone, can be paired to wifi without a hub, and can transform your appliances into smart devices.
So, what are you waiting for, check out our recommended best smart plugs and bring your home into the 21st century!
Thanks for Supporting Crafts & Bolts
Crafts & Bolts is designed to simplify and enhance your life. So, if learned something new about smart plug outlets, or made a great purchase, then please share the love by liking, sharing, or commenting below! Thank you for reading!