Why Should I Invest in Smart Plug Outlets?
Smart plug outlets make it possible to control anything you plug into it. All you need is an outlet, a smart plug, and sometimes a free app.
Every homeowner who is looking to save money on their energy bills will benefit from these smart outlet adapters. You may set them to turn on and off at certain intervals, so you only utilize what you need when you need it. If your kids leave lights or televisions that aren’t in use, program the smart outlet timers to shut off the appliances after a certain amount of time.
This way, you’re not wasting any energy and you’re saving yourself some money on your monthly energy bills.
We all have electronic devices that sit idle for 9 out of 10 hours every day but still need to be plugged into an outlet. These smart plug outlets are ideal because they can be set to turn off at a certain time, are voice or app-controlled, and provide a variety of functions!
So what are you waiting for? Invest in smart plug outlets today!
Crafts & Bolts Top Picks: Best Smart Plugs
There are so many smart home devices on the market that it can sometimes be hard to determine which one is right for you. At Crafts & Bolts, we reviewed many smart plugs and found some that really stood out. These are our choices for the best smart plugs, but keep in mind that if you have existing home appliances, you may want to purchase a smart plug that is easier to pair with them (look for Google, Apple, Alexa, etc compatibility). Your smart home devices might work better with some plugs more than others, so keep that in mind as you explore features!
Best Interior Smart Plug: Kasa Smart Plug
Energy monitoring capability, with Alexa integration and great customer reviews!
Best Exterior Smart Plug: Treatlife Dimmer Smart Switch
Outdoor plug that allows for dimming, remote access, waterproof protection, and seamless setup.
Best Smart Power Strip: Eve Energy Strip – Apple HomeKit Smart Home
Excellent surge protection, apple home kit compatibility, incredible energy monitoring, and easy voice commands.
Best Smart Plug Outlets for your Home (Interior)
Kasa Smart Plug is a smart home Wi-Fi outlet that works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT. It's designed to fit into any standard wall socket and control your devices from anywhere using the Kasa app on your smartphone or tablet. The WiFi outlet can be used to schedule on/off times for connected devices so you can have lights turn on at sunset, have coffee ready as soon as you wake up, or even keep an appliance running while you're away. Away mode makes it appear as if you are home by turning on connected lights at different times of the day, so burglars don't know you're away.
- You can control your home from anywhere.
- Way fewer connectivity issues with other cheap devices.
- Schedule lights, TV, and music to turn on automatically.
- Seamless Alexa integration
- Set a timer for cooking or other tasks, so you never have to worry about forgetting anything again.
- Never come home to a dark house with Away Mode!
- When you connect appliances to a smart plug, they may not be placed too close to the outlet (due to the protrusion).
Meross is a smart home company with the mission to make your life easier. Meross is committed to providing high-quality, reliable products that are easy to use and make smart homes accessible for everyone.
The Smart Plug Mini allows you to remotely monitor and control your appliances using your smartphone or tablet. It also works with Apple HomeKit, Siri, Carplay, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and SmartThings. Its small size makes it ideal for travel. This device is FCC/ETL certified, which means that it has fire-retardant housing and an overload protection circuit. To improve your smart home experience, use voice control, and intelligent scheduling.
- Your outlets will finally be able to hold all your plugs.
- You'll never have to worry about plugging in a device and it not being close enough.
- The installation is simple, just follow the instructions on the box!
- The button's location on the plug may be difficult for less tech-savvy people. The ability to share Homekit settings with everyone might help alleviate this problem.
- The setup process for this is a bit repetitive. For example, you will be adding devices into both HomeKit and the native App.
GE Lighting Cync On/Off Smart Plug with Built-in Wi-Fi Bridge is a smart plug that lets you control any lamp or electrical device from anywhere using your smartphone. Simply connect the Cync to an outlet and join your Wi-Fi network, and you're ready to go. You may then use the free app on your smartphone or tablet to turn the power on and off, schedule it for particular times, set up timers, and create rules based on time of day or other events. The Cync also works with Amazon Alexa (sold separately) so you can control it using voice commands. There is no hub required, just connect the plug to your Wi-Fi router and then pair it with the free app. The slim design fits easily into any outlet without blocking other sockets. Use it to control lights, fans, holiday decorations, and more!
- No hub is required
- Compatible with Google Home and Alexa (sold separately)
- Secure your home, even when you're not there
- Super Easy installation process especially for Amazon Alexa users
- The app does not track power consumption
- Cannot be set up with a schedule
Philips Hue Smart Plug is fully compatible with the Philips Hue app and you can add any lamp to your Hue system. You can personalize your lights to create the perfect environment for every moment and activity in your home. Use the Hue app to set timers and schedules, control your lights remotely wherever you are, and turn lights on and off with the press of a button.
This two-pack of smart plugs doesn't emit any light, so it won't keep you awake if tiny amounts of light make it difficult for you to sleep. You may also use the Smart Plug as a Zigbee range extender for the Hue Smart Bridge (not included).
- You can control your lights smart features remotely with the app
- The plug does not emit any light.
- Perfect if you have Philips Hue lights in your home
- Highly affordable two pack option
- Works as a Zigbee range extender for Hue Smart Bridge.
- While not required, a Philips Hue Hub may be utilized to access even more features, raising the price of this investment somewhat if you crave some particularly unique capabilities such as color dimming control.
Save Money by Using Outdoor Smart Plugs
Outdoor smart plugs are ideal for anyone who wants to control their exterior lights. These plugs are meant for people that want their yard, water features or patio lit up at night. With these controlled outlets, you can turn on the lights on your home with just a push of a button from your smartphone.
Exterior lights have the ability to use up a lot of energy– especially during the holidays. Therefore, outdoor smart plugs can come in handy, as it allows you to save energy with timers and scheduled lighting times. What’s even better about an outdoor smart plug is that it can be activated using your voice or through the app on your smartphone.
You don’t have to worry about getting out of bed in order to turn on your lights from inside, just say “Alexa, turn on my patio lights.”
The Best Outdoor Smart Plug for your Home
The Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug is a smart plug that lets you control your devices remotely using the Kasa app on your smartphone which has voice assistant compatibility. It works with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and Google Assistant for voice control. The plug has two AC outlets that are independently controllable. You can set schedules to turn on/off each outlet individually or both at the same time.
The Smart Plug is waterproof, with an IP64 certification that means it's resistant to water from all angles. It has been used by millions of consumers and has exceptional ratings.
- Schedule your lights to turn on and off at specific times.
- Control all light settings with a single tap
- Enjoy long-range WIFI connectivity and weatherproofing
- Save time and energy with 2 individually programmable AC outlets.
- Control with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- The interior hardware isn't fully weather-resistant, so in very intense weather you will need to use the outlet covers, or bring it indoors.
The HomeKit outdoor smart plug has 2 AC outlets, which can be named independently and operated as a unit or separately. The HomeKit outdoor smart plug uses Wi-Fi for a seamless connection directly to HomeKit and Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. It also features an IP44 waterproof design that protects against the elements, making it perfect for use outdoors. The Refoss smart plug works on 2.4G Wi-Fi, has a 15A fuse and is compatible with iOS 10+ / Android 5+.
Therefore, this smart plug is perfect for Apple users who want to control their outdoor lights and electrical devices from iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch. The HomeKit app also allows you to create custom scenes that will turn on/off multiple devices at the same time.
- The best outdoor smart plug for Apple users, it has simple compatibility with Apple Devices.
- Keep appliances from getting damaged by overloading circuits.
- It's simple to use and takes less than 5 minutes to set up.
- Energy-efficient and cost-effective
- Does not operate with 5G wifi; you'll need to establish a 2.4G network.
- Not for high-powered machines, such as a pump or pool motor
The Smart Dimmer Outdoor is a WiFi plug that can be controlled by Alexa, Google Assistant, and the TREATLIFE app. It will connect to your existing WiFi network with no hub required. This smart plug allows you to adjust the brightness level from 1-100% with Alexa and Google Assistant voice assistants. The outdoor dimmer also supports sunrise and sunset setting, so you can program by automation to turn on and off at your desired times.
This smart plug allows you to schedule or set scenes for your lights and create timers using the Treatlife app. The outdoor smart plug has a built-in surge protector and is rated IP44 waterproof (suitable for indoor use). It can be used with LED lights, CFL lamps, and incandescent bulbs up to 150W/150W/400W respectively.
- Dimmable and Programmable with Manual dimming if your phone is not nearby!
- Setup is super quick and easy
- Cord length is long enough to easily fit any outdoor outlet box without preventing the box from closing
- Really well constructed with IP44 waterproof protection and FCC certified
- None! It does what it is designed to do and is the best smart plug on the market!
The TESSAN WiFi Smart Outlet Switch is an amazing smart plug that can be controlled by Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. This device has 3 outlets that can be individually and simultaneously controlled. You can use this device to schedule your appliances on specific days of the week, times, or even with timers! The design is IP44 waterproof and has individual outlet covers. The Smart Plug - 3-Outlet Switch is equipped with a timer and schedule function. The total amperage of the three outlets combined is 15A, but it isn't appropriate for water immersion.
- Three programmable outlets
- Affordable and Durable
- Easy setup
- Figuring out settings and configuration after initial set up is not seamless, and directions are small and hard to read.
Need More Smart Devices? Try a Smart Power Strip
Power strips are great for connecting multiple appliances to one outlet. These plugs are perfect for adding smart capabilities to your existing appliances, making them more efficient and easier to control remotely. Some of the benefits include:
- Turn off appliances that are accidentally left on
- Schedule appliances to power on/off when you’re not home
- Check appliance status from the app at any time
Why invest in the best smart plug when you can up your game with a whole power strip!
*However, note: smart power strips are still improving in technology and effectiveness. So, individual smart plugs that form a powerstrip, while great, are not for those who get annoyed by occasional glitches. If that’s you, then stick to smart plugs, which have a lot fewer issues (if any!).
The Best Smart Power Strips for your Home
The Kasa power strip includes three smart outlets that can be controlled individually and used with 3 pronged appliances. This unit also includes two always-on USB ports and therefore has the ability to support five devices at a time.
This power strip is an Alexa or Google Assistance-enabled smart plug that does not require a hub. It's perfect for making your appliances into smart devices by converting them into smart gadgets. You can simultaneously use voice control, establish schedules, and set timers while utilizing surge protection.
- Great and easy-to-use app that can control and manage multiple smart home devices.
- The smart plugs are spaced out appropriately, which allows room for larger plugs
- Can power up to 5 devices at once
- The cord is only 3 feet long
- Customer service is not the best
The APC smart plug is a 2160 Joule Surge Protector with three smart plugs that do not require a hub. You have the ability to plug in your TV, games, and streaming players into this power strip. This smart plug has the ability to provide maximum constant voltage for the continued high performance of electronic devices.
With the ability to have LED control through voice or app control, you can control your devices from anywhere in the world.
- Easy setup without needing a hub
- The schedule feature allows for added home security
- Set schedules and manage all elements of your home appliances
- The app allows you to control up to six smart surge protectors at a time.
- You need to download the APC app to be able to use Amazon Alexa
- The app can be glitchy
The Eve Energy power strip is the best on the market. Many energy steps have smart plugs that are glitchy or require a not-so-user-friendly app. However, that is not the case with this product.
This energy strip allows you to safeguard high-end electronics with advanced overcurrent, overvoltage, and surge protection. You are able to track energy consumption, automate use times, and create schedules for all of your appliances. This power strip has absolutely the best smart plugs for Apple users, as it can be easily connected and used by your Apple devices.
- HomeKit Enabled and works seamlessly with Apple devices
- Perfect for Energy Monitoring: Track power consumption to help you save on your electric bills
- Surge protection, overcurrent protection, and overvoltage protection
- Generously spaced 90-degree outlets
- A bit difficult to set up
- A little pricy but definitely high-quality
Honorable Mentions: Smart Plugs Worth Trying
Instead of trying the best smart plugs, how about trying out the best smart in-wall outlet! The Kasa Smart WiFi Power Outlet, 2-Sockets can help you save space and create a natural smart home atmosphere by installing it in your bedroom, living room, garage, and other parts of your house. Use your smartphone or favorite voice assistant to operate up to two linked gadgets separately. Because they require in-wall electrical wiring to function, smart plugs are quite simple to set up and are ETL certified. Many new construction houses now have these outlets, so why not update your house as well?
The Ring outdoor smart plug is ideal for consumers who have a Ring system and use the company's app. The outdoor plug can communicate with Ring Smart Lights, doorbells, cameras, and Alexa-enabled devices. This smart outlet is excellent at converting your outside power outlets into a smart device thanks to remote control access and simple connection with your smartphone. The ring outdoor smart plug is perfect for those looking to enhance their Ring system even more.
Your Smart Home Awaits!
Smart plugs are the future of smart homes. We are currently living in the age of the internet, which is why it should be no surprise that our homes are being updated with new technology to save us time and energy. Most smart plugs are excellent devices because they allow you to save on your electric bills while also giving you the ability to automate routine tasks. While there are many options to choose from, we recommend a smart plug that has energy monitoring features, uses voice control, has a remote control option preferably using a smart phone, can be paired to wifi without a hub, and can transform your appliances into smart devices.
So, what are you waiting for, check out our recommended best smart plugs and bring your home into the 21st century!
Thanks for Supporting Crafts & Bolts
Crafts & Bolts is designed to simplify and enhance your life. So, if learned something new about smart plug outlets, or made a great purchase, then please share the love by liking, sharing, or commenting below! Thank you for reading!